A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Monday, October 31, 2005

Webcomics AS Product

One of the things I remember about my dad was he NEVER EVER went back to a company that sold him a lemon. Not only that he would tell everyone he knew WITH MILITANT FERVOR. Every chance he got. You know the saying about business, if you treat a customer right they will tell 3 people, if you do them wrong they will tell six, well my Dad took it to whole new levels. I think he alone put a car company or two out of business ( ALright maybe I made that up ). On the other hand, he ALWAYS went back to the company that sold him a good product, year after year after year. I am sure you all know a person like this if you aren't like that yourself.

No what matter business you are trying to create, the one thing I think it boils down to is the product. In my case it is a comicbook story. The comic product is comprised of two things, 'word' and 'picture' that add into one*, 'experience'. So unless you are selling a necessity ( water, food, shelter ) that's exactly what you are selling ( and even those are sold as experience ). The product ( experience ) must be completely considered. It needs to be well thought out, including plot, art style, colors, dialogue. If you want people to part with their well earned money to support what you produce you have to consider every little thing ... I mean I am talking every little prop that shows in the background**. Do everything you can to enrich the story. Think about it would you part with your money for ok stuff, good stuff or great stuff? In my opinion, to have the best chance for success the product must be of the highest quality.

* Check out Scott McCloud's book 'Understanding Comics", I have read it 6 times already, I highly recommend it!

** Props are usually very carefully considered for movies, a good example is 'Citizen Kane'

Lastly, I want to note that I have started a second blog called Fish Story. It just seemed more appropriate to separate the art & story & personal notes from the business end here at this SoulCanon blog so I created a behind the scenes blog. Besides some subscribers might like the content separated into two discernible feeds. I would also like to note that this blog will go to a 3x a week posting schedule ( M, W, F )

Later gator!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home