A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Webcomics Marketing Strategies : Media Relations

Part of a 13 part series: Exploring Webcomics Marketing Strategies

What my research got me...
I went out to research media relations for webcomics. I found almost nothing on the web. Which is kind of surprising considering the number of webcomics out there. On the other hand, its not so surprising since it is a medium that is still trying to figure itself out. Never mind pitching its newsworthiness to non-webcomics focused news sites. So, I went on a more general search, media relations to see what I could find. After sifting through a lot of websites covering the big business or product/store/service related small business I found a couple of good articles that can be applied to webcomics. One asks, Can Media Coverage Build An Online Business?. I also found a very good article that reviews how to foster connections we make with the media. I'll talk about the concepts I took away from these articles...
  1. Media Coverage is free advertising
  2. Media Coverage makes you and your online business real
  3. Media coverage is important for a online start-ups
  4. Foster relationships with reporters
  5. Just say yes to any interviews requested
  6. Create a database of media contacts
Expanding on those...
Media Coverage is free: How you gonna beat that?

Media Coverage make you and your online business real: What is meant by 'real' is it makes your business 'real' to your potential patronage. Media coverage validates your online business in a positive way.

Media Coverage is important for online start-ups: Try finding a new site on a search engine with generic key words. Try searching on webcomic, do you see your webcomic on the first page or page #2,360,000 ( the results count )?

Fostering relationships with reporters. One of the things I remember most about my research is something I never thought about but makes perfect sense. Most of the news-tips reporters get is from the people they know. It's no different than the business world. To me, it seems especially important in a community like the webcomics.

Just say yes to interviews: Why would you say no? Its free advertising!

Create a Database of Media Contacts: It's just good business, it makes press releases easier, and helps you keep tabs on your media relationships

Next: SEO or Search Engine Optimization

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home