A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Webcomic : World Design : Nirvana 4

Nirvana Final!

Here is the final version of the sky city 'Nirvana' (from my webcomic) that I started posting back back in this post. I gotta say I'm happy with it. Not so much for its "beauty" but what I got out of it. I think one of the reasons is a tip I found reading the game guide Myst Uru Complete Chronicles a year or so ago. The guide included a behind the scenes section in the end which included an interview with the head artist for UbiSoft's Myst series ( At least that's what I remember ). In the interview he said something that didn't catch my attention at first. "...you look at all the structures, and they're very simple, structural, geometrical. You're talking about very pure and direct shapes, like squares and circles that are powerful in terms of civilization" My interpretation is that simple shapes are easily recognizable and therefore easily assessed by the reader on an emotional/subconscious level. Therefore they are iconic. Now at first, as most people do when we receive advice, listen on only the most superficial level.

A few weeks ago, when I started the drawing of "Nirvana", I imagined a giant city with hundreds of buildings on a platform. So, my first few attempts at the city were similar to the Scifi channel's Stargate: Atlantis. However, it never seemed right. It just didn't touch me on a emotional level. Then a week ago, I was brainstorming and I saw the book in the corner of the room and that's when it hit me. The shape of the building needs to be simple. Not complicated with pipes and tons of details. Details only engage the conscious, technical mind as it explores how all the details come together. Simple shapes ARE better because it reaches the part of the human story tellers/artists are trying to appeal to the subconscious emotional level.

Please make comments, I would love to hear any opinions on the digital painting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home