A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Webcomic : World Design : Nirvana (Pt.2)

I can be a bit of a bore...
As an artist I try to take every opportunity to look at other creator's creation process. My fiancee, Melinda, can't stand to sit around after the movie as I dissect the 'Extras' sections of DVD's or rant for hours about how I found a new process that will expand my skills as an artist. I can be, to people who don't do what I do, a big bore, even the to the ones that love me. I can be quite the incessant. But that's the good thing about this blog, you can shut me off anytime you want ;) Now onto my little process rant...

A couple of years ago, I saw a disney movie, I think it was called, 'Treasure Planet'. As I remember, in the extras sections ( It may have been paintings in the credits ) , there were a bunch of behind the scenes paintings. Some showed paintings that depicted scenes that were actually in the movie and others that never were. At first, it seemed strange that some of the painted scenes did not fit into the movie's plot. My first guess was that these were 'cut', however, it then occurred to me, maybe they were never meant to be in the movie. Maybe, the paintings were purely created to get a feel for the look of the story. Experimental in nature. They just developed a clear idea of how the story will feel and look. Kind of like a writer's synopsis. I have found that this process helps me a LOT. Story and design ideas just flow from my head when I do this sort of stuff versus trying to pull it out of thin air. This digital painting, is my experiment with the The Order's sky city 'Nirvana'.

More about 'The Order'
The people of The Order believe in 'control'. Their society prides itself on being able to use technology to control their world, or to give it 'order'. This includes everything from their daily lives their genetic make-up. The weather however, is a topic of contention and not something they like to discuss ( seriously ), since it is one of those things they cannot control ( oh the irony ).

Artistic Comments
This is the second stage of this digital painting. My goal was to block out base shapes, colors and gradations ( if you notice, the clouds are just gray blobs ). In the next stage, I will finish out the ruins below the towers. I think a moon in the background might be in order but I think it will be very small. This should help depict the sheer size of these towers.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home