A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Webcomics Marketing Strategies : Newsletters

Newsletters and Magazines
Part of a 13 part series: Exploring Webcomics Marketing Strategies

I believe one of the things that makes the most successful webcomics is that they are aimed at a niche. Penny-Arcade, CTRL-ALT-DEL and PVP are all aimed at a specific niche, video games. The advantage to aiming at a niche is the availability of niche media. Video magazines are great places for media exposure. I believe if I want to give my webcomic the best chance for success I have to have a niche. My webcomic is a scifi/fantasy story so it would seem the niche would be scifi/fantasy. However, there is a problem with this. There aren't anywhere near that number of scifi magazines that video games cultivate. This presented a problem. After some research I found there was a lot of scifi newsletters/magazines and hobby/fantasy magazines. My research also revealed that the advertising in newsletters and small magazines is cheap and they tend to hungry for free news and stories. A ha, there's my niche ( better than I thought )!

(Added 10:26am)
Ah, it did not occur to me until now, e-Zines and email newsletters. There is a ton out there emailed to people who are actually interested in the scifi niche. A lot of them have been around for years and years. Hmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home