A journal documenting a process of creating and launching a webcomic business...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A WIN / WIN Situation

Making business does not mean there have to be winners and losers. A long time ago I used to work for a small company. It was run by a very ambitious man. He was professional, never missed a deadline and worked until the wee hours of the morning and he always seemed to be able to land the big account. It would seem his strength was making business and he was a rich man.

When I was working for him, I was quite impressed with this ability make business. However, it was not as it would seem. I found later that many people left the professional relationship feeling like they got the raw end of the deal.... almost like they lost a competition. Many people in the corporate world feel that in all business relationships there is a winner and a loser.. that business is a competition. The problem with this? Many of the people he worked with didn't want to business with him again.

How does this apply to webcomics? Well, think of it this way, how many times would a patron come back to your webcomic if they felt like they had been cheated by you? Or by the quality of the products you sell? How about the quality of your work?

A principal I try to live by, is to work to make any relationship a WIN/WIN situation. I think this will every one of my patrons a reader and not just a 'hit/pageview'. Make every patron feel like working with you means they win as well as you.

With that being said, I want to announce that this blog's schedule will be reduced to Mondays ( This will be the final schedule change ). Why? Well, as I have written these blogs I am finding that it is far more important to take the time create quality posts ( more research, more links to resources etc ) with the best research/writing I can do. This way the blog will be more useful to me AND you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home